Childhood Things.

My best friend, Alyx, and I were having this great conversation this morning that sparked all kinds of reminiscing. We were chatting about all of the great things they had when we were kids - things that really shaped our school years. Things that kids today probably wouldn't care about because they're so high tech (wow, I sound old). I decided I would share these things with you because you may have loved them too. Here goes...

1. Book It! - Man do I miss this. Book It was a program run by pizza hut that basically encoruaged kids to read by bribing them with a personal pan pizza (yummm!). I think they still have this program, but I doubt it's as cool. Do kids today get the sweet button that had the little stickers you would get to add once you read a new book? Do they even have the eat-in pizza hut restaurants anymore? Mmmm, I could really go for a quick game of X-Men while I wait to be seated, followed by some delicious breadsticks right now (but only if I get to be Storm).

2. Choose Your Own Adventure Books - These were the absolute BEST! Boy, did I love them... especially the Goosebumps versions (did anyone else make them?).

I wish they made these for adults, because I would definitely read them. I can already imagine the Twilight version. Does Bella choose Edward or Jacob? Turn to page 35 for Edward or page 61 for Jacob.

3. Dunkaroos and Shark Bites - Alyx says they still have these, which is great news because they were SO cool! I loved the Dunkaroos that had the sprinkes in the cookies with chocolate frosting and the sharks that were white. Those were so much better than the rest.

4. Pogs - Heck yeah I played with Pogs! My grandfather would buy me so many of these. I had such awesome slammers and I have great memories of playing with my cousin Jason during our annual Christmas Eve get together. I wonder where mine are? I must have at least 5 containers of them somewhere.

5. Yikes Pencils - I was obsessed with these. They were all swirly and colorful. Plus, they had those crazy erasers that came in weird shapes. They were totally a plus while doing school work. Especially if you added one of those squishy, finger protector things.

6. Trapper Keepers and Lisa Frank Folders - Everyone had these. And it's true, you weren't cool without them. The zippers, the velcro, the crazy colors!
I wish these were required supplies at work!

Man, I could go on and on. There were so many other cool things I loved. Guess I'll have to save them for another post, but what cool things did you have as a kid? Did you love any of these things as much as I did?

3 comments:

Todd Johnson March 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

Haha, great post! You forgot TubaRuba, one of the best old time games, haha!

me March 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM  

Hahaha! Pogs! Im sure Jay's mom still has all of his... Hmm, I remember the sweet-smelling pencils, scratch-an-sniff stickers, Dark Wing Duck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2UFFzPsSsg), Tale Spin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIl5YwcO72g), and Ducktales cartoons...oh yea, and Garfield and Friends! I think TWILIGHT would have been awesome if it WAS a 'choose-you-own-adventure' type book! I'd have gone with JASPER. =)

Anonymous March 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

OMG! I loved all of these things!! Except Dunkaroos. Todd and I weren't allowed to have those as snacks because they contained sugar! Haha. We were the cool kids at snack time with apples and rice cakes!

Twentysomething Words

My name is Amanda and I'm a twentysomething. To some, this may seem young. To me, it's a whole new world. These are my thoughts on life, the world and surviving that enivitable quarter-life crisis.

Past Thoughts